Thursday, June 01, 2006

Thumb Piano 2 The V Model

This is the second thumb piano I've built in a month. What's up with that? Actually I have loved making them. This one was inspired by an artist named Victor Gama. He is an instrument builder and a performer. Last month I did a show with Victor and drum builder named David Hind at the Harbourfront Center called All Over The Map: A Feast of Global Sounds. Now all I can think about are thumb pianos and drums. The V in the name is for Victor if you haven't already figured that out.

The instrument consists of one brass bowl I found on one of my many junk shop excursions, and the hexagonal disks I found in the coach house behind my watering hole. Each disk is cut slightly smaller than the last.

I think I will be making many more of these things in the months to come.



No comments: