Thursday, June 01, 2006

Things I find in the Fridge

“The only good refrigerator is a dead refrigerator.” If I was to write a movie about some crazy guy that builds instruments, dresses and furniture out of garbage that would be the line I use right before our hero puts a shotgun blast through the brains of one of the army of undead refrigeration units.

Refrigerator grates are another one of my favorites. It’s right up there with stainless steel salad bowls, but still a bit behind chicken cookers (just read some of the other blog entries and you’ll understand what I’m talking about)

This grate did in fact come from my fridge. Luckily enough for me there was a new fridge in our kitchen. I have found over the years that, in the interest of harmonious relationships that one should not dismantle working appliances for art sake.

This, thank god was not a working appliance. Every six months or so I would have to get out the hammer and a slot screw driver and go on an ice expedition into the deepest coldest recesses of our refrigerator, often uncovering ancient bottles of hot sauce, or some weird condiment my mother had given me years ago because she thought it tasted like crap. The ice would build up to be about a foot and a half thick in some places. Once I found a human hand, or rather a human like hand.

At this point you’re probably wondering what this has to do with building and the functionality of musical instruments. Absolutely nothing, but it sounds infinitely more interesting than saying I build a rectangular box out of wood and mounted a fridge grate on it.

No comments: